PA 09-240—sSB 894
Insurance and Real Estate Committee
AN ACT REQUIRING DISCLOSURE OF AUTOMOBILE LIABILITY INSURANCE POLICY LIMITS PRIOR TO THE FILING OF A CLAIM
SUMMARY: This act requires an automobile liability insurer to disclose the limits applicable under a policy it issued within 30 days after receiving a written request for disclosure. The request must be made by, or on behalf of, a person alleging bodily injury or death resulting from a motor vehicle collision involving a person the insurer's private passenger automobile policy covers. The disclosure must be in writing and indicate all coverage the insurer provides to the insured, including any applicable umbrella or excess liability insurance.
The act requires that the request include a letter from an attorney licensed to practice in Connecticut or an affidavit from the person alleging to have suffered injury in the accident that includes certain information. The request must be sent by certified mail to the insurance adjuster or company at its last known principal place of business.
EFFECTIVE DATE: October 1, 2009, and applicable to claims arising on or after that date.
The attorney's letter or the person's affidavit must include:
1. his or her juris number (if an attorney),
2. the type of claim alleged against the insured,
3. the date and approximate time the alleged incident occurred,
4. a description of the injuries the insured is alleged to have caused;
5. a copy of the person's medical bills and treatment records for the injuries; and
6. a copy of the accident report of the collision that allegedly caused the person's injury or death, if available.
OLR Tracking: JLK: RP: SS: ts