PA 08-155—sHB 5734
Finance, Revenue and Bonding Committee
AN ACT CONCERNING NEW AND EXPANDED BUS TRANSPORTATION SERVICES THROUGHOUT CONNECTICUT
SUMMARY: This act establishes a program to be administered by the Department of Transportation (DOT), within available budgetary resources, called the “Buses for 21st Century Mobility” program. The purpose of the program is to provide new and expanded bus transportation services. DOT must begin accepting applications from publicly funded transportation providers and nonprofit community transportation service providers on July 1, 2008.
The act also makes up to $5 million in bonding previously authorized by law for implementing transportation strategy projects and initiatives (i. e. , “Tier 1” strategy projects) available for purchasing vehicles for the Buses for 21st Century Mobility program. It does this by replacing the prior authorization for use of this funding for clean diesel bus retrofits.
EFFECTIVE DATE: July 1, 2008, except the change in the bonding authorization is effective upon passage.
BUSES FOR 21ST CENTURY MOBILITY PROGRAM
The act specifies that the new and expanded services include:
1. expanding existing services when a need has been demonstrated for expansion, including weekend and evening service and increased frequency of service;
2. providing new services where a need has been demonstrated;
3. new rail shuttle services;
4. express bus commuter services;
5. greater coordination of marketing and web-trip planning of transit services; and
6. other bus transportation programs designed to increase bus riding opportunities for Connecticut residents.
OLR Tracking: JF