Sec. 12-268s. Electric generation tax. (a) As used in this section:
(1) “Person” has the same meaning as provided in section 12-1;
(2) “Electric generation services” has the same meaning as provided in section 16-1;
(3) “Electric generation facility” means electric generation facility, as the term is used in section 12-94d;
(4) “Regional bulk power grid” means regional bulk power grid, as the term is used in section 16a-7b;
(5) “Alternative energy system” has the same meaning as provided in subdivision (21) of subsection (a) of section 12-213;
(6) “Fuel cells” has the same meaning as provided in subdivision (113) of section 12-412;
(7) “Commissioner” means the Commissioner of Revenue Services;
(8) “Department” means the Department of Revenue Services; and
(9) “Person subject to tax” means a person providing electric generation services and uploading electricity generated at such person’s electric generation facility in this state to the regional bulk power grid.
(b) (1) For each calendar quarter commencing on or after July 1, 2011, and prior to July 1, 2013, there is hereby imposed a tax on each person subject to tax, which tax shall be the product of one-quarter of one cent, multiplied by the net kilowatt hours of electricity generated by such person at such person’s electric generation facility in this state and uploaded to the regional bulk power grid.
(2) Each person subject to tax shall, on or before October 31, 2011, and thereafter on or before the last day of January, April, July and October of each year until June 30, 2013, render to the commissioner a return, on forms prescribed or furnished by the commissioner, reporting the kilowatt hours of electricity generated by such person at such person’s electric generation facility in this state and uploaded to the regional bulk power grid during the calendar quarter ending on the last day of the preceding month and reporting such other information as the commissioner deems necessary for the proper administration of this section. The tax imposed under this section shall be due and payable on the due date of such return. Each person subject to tax shall be required to file such return electronically with the department and to make payment of such tax by electronic funds transfer in the manner provided by chapter 228g, irrespective of whether the person subject to tax would have otherwise been required to file such return electronically or to make such tax payment by electronic funds transfer under the provisions of chapter 228g.
(c) Whenever the tax imposed under this section is not paid when due, a penalty of ten per cent of the amount due and unpaid or fifty dollars, whichever is greater, shall be imposed and interest at the rate of one per cent per month or fraction thereof shall accrue on such tax from the due date of such tax until the date of payment.
(d) The provisions of sections 12-548, 12-550 to 12-554, inclusive, and 12-555a shall apply to the provisions of this section in the same manner and with the same force and effect as if the language of said sections had been incorporated in full into this section and had expressly referred to the tax imposed under this section, except to the extent that any provision is inconsistent with a provision in this section.
(e) The tax imposed by this section shall not apply to any net kilowatt hours of electricity generated at (1) an electric generation facility in this state exclusively through the use of fuel cells or an alternative energy system, (2) a resources recovery facility, as defined in section 22a-260, or (3) customer-side distributed resources, as defined in subdivision (40) of subsection (a) of section 16-1.
(f) At the end of the fiscal years ending June 30, 2012, and June 30, 2013, the Comptroller is authorized to record as revenue for each fiscal year the amount of tax imposed under the provisions of this section on electricity generated prior to the end of each fiscal year and which tax is received by the Commissioner of Revenue Services not later than five business days after the last day of July immediately following the end of each fiscal year.
(P.A. 11-6, S. 104; 11-61, S. 45; 11-233, S. 17.)
History: P.A. 11-6 effective July 1, 2011; P.A. 11-61 amended Subsec. (e) by designating existing language re electric generation facility as Subdiv. (1) and adding Subdiv. (2) re resources recovery facility, effective July 1, 2011; P.A. 11-233 amended Subsec. (e) by adding Subdiv. (3) re customer-side distributed resources, effective July 1, 2011.
|(Return to Chapter
Table of Contents)
List of Chapters)
List of Titles)