PA 13-160—sSB 1003
Public Safety and Security Committee
General Law Committee
AN ACT CONCERNING SECONDHAND DEALERS
SUMMARY: This act exempts dealers of used (1) clothing, (2) children's products, and (3) sporting equipment from secondhand dealer requirements. It applies to those primarily in the business of buying and selling clothing, children's products, or sporting equipment, from, or to, someone other than a wholesaler. The act does not apply to children's products regulated by the federal Food and Drug Administration.
By law, secondhand dealers are required to, among other things:
1. be licensed by law enforcement;
2. identify sellers before making purchases;
3. maintain a recordkeeping system, including photographing certain items;
4. accept only certain types of payment;
5. sell only to adults, unless a minor buyer is accompanied by a parent or guardian; and
6. submit weekly reports to the licensing authority.
EFFECTIVE DATE: October 1, 2013
OLR Tracking: DC: TA: PF: ts