PA 13-143—sHB 6491
Higher Education and Employment Advancement Committee
AN ACT REQUIRING A REPORT FROM THE BOARD OF REGENTS FOR HIGHER EDUCATION AND THE BOARD OF TRUSTEES FOR THE UNIVERSITY OF CONNECTICUT REGARDING ADMINISTRATORS
SUMMARY: This act requires the Board of Regents for Higher Education (BOR) and the UConn Board of Trustees (BOT) to complete studies every two years, beginning January 1, 2014, that compare their administrators' salaries and staffing ratios to those of peer public institutions in other states. In preparing these studies, the boards must compare full-time employees holding a payroll position classified as a management occupation under the U. S. Department of Labor's occupational classification system. The studies must include any employee who meets such criteria on every other November 1, starting in 2013.
BOR must compare:
1. salaries of Connecticut State University System (CSUS) and regional community-technical college administrators to salaries of similar positions at public peer institutions in other states;
2. ratios of CSUS and community-technical college administrators to students, as well as administrators to faculty, to such ratios at the peer institutions; and
3. salaries of BOR central office administrators to those in similar positions within peer state university systems in other states.
BOT must compare:
1. salaries of UConn administrators to similar positions at peer public institutions in other states and
2. ratios of UConn administrators to students, as well as administrators to faculty, to such ratios at such peer institutions.
BOR and BOT must report the results of these comparisons to the Higher Education and Appropriations committees upon completion.
EFFECTIVE DATE: July 1, 2013
OLR Tracking: MGS: JR: PF: ts