PA 13-10—sHB 6502
AN ACT CONCERNING THE MEMBERSHIP OF THE PARAPROFESSIONAL ADVISORY COUNCIL
SUMMARY: This act alters the membership and duties of the Paraprofessional Advisory Council by (1) increasing the required number of paraprofessional members, (2) adding new members from specified groups, and (3) expanding the council's advisory role. By law, the council advises the education commissioner on paraprofessional training needs.
EFFECTIVE DATE: July 1, 2013
Existing law requires the council's membership to consist of one representative from each paraprofessionals' union, of which there are five. In practice, however, the council has 17 members. The act requires the council's membership to consist of:
1. one representative, who is a paraprofessional, from each paraprofessionals' union;
2. one representative from each teachers' union;
3. two Regional Education Service Center representatives;
4. the most recent Connecticut Paraprofessional of the Year award recipient; and
5. one school administrator appointed by the Connecticut Federation of School Administrators.
The act increases the frequency with which the council must advise the education commissioner and adds required topics. Under the act, the council must advise the commissioner at least quarterly, instead of annually. The act also expands the topics on which the council must advise the commissioner to include professional development, staffing strategies, and other relevant issues relating to paraprofessionals.
OLR Tracking: MGS: ND: PF: ts