March 7, 2013
QUESTIONS FOR NOMINEE TO THE CONNECTICUT RIVER VALLEY FLOOD CONTROL COMMISSION
By: Kristen L. Miller, Legislative Analyst II
CONNECTICUT RIVER VALLEY FLOOD CONTROL COMMISSION (CGS §§ 25-99 AND 100)
• The commission is established under the Connecticut River Valley Flood Control Compact formed by Connecticut, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, and Vermont.
• Each state appoints three members.
• It is intended to promote interstate comity, assure adequate storage capacity for impounding river waters to protect against flooding, and to be an interstate agency to cooperatively control flooding.
1. One of the commission's purposes is to work with other Connecticut River states to ensure adequate flood-water storage capacity for the river and its tributaries. With the heavy rains, particularly associated with Tropical Storm Irene and Hurricane Sandy, what more do you think the commission can do to prevent and control flooding?
2. Tropical Storm Irene and Hurricane Sandy caused significant flooding in many Connecticut communities. As a result, legislation has been proposed during recent and this current legislative session to address flooding concerns. What do you believe should be given legislative priority to address flood issues?
3. Effective flood control often involves establishing storage capacity in the upper regions of a river. Given Connecticut's relative position at the end of the Connecticut River, what can we do to protect capacity up river?
4. Dams and impoundments may negatively affect watersheds by changing water speed and depth and reducing wildlife habitat. Positive impacts of dams and impoundments include creating fish habitat and certain recreational opportunities. What do you think of using these structures to control river flow?
5. To the best of your knowledge, what is the general state of repair of Connecticut dams?
6. Do you believe that the level of communication and cooperation among the Connecticut River states is effective, or is there room for improvement?
7. You worked for the Connecticut's legislature for a number of years as the clerk to the Environment Committee. How will your experience at the legislature shape your role on the commission?