PA 12-97—sSB 80
Higher Education and Employment Advancement Committee
Government Administration and Elections Committee
AN ACT EXPANDING TEST BED AUTHORITY AT THE CONSTITUENT UNITS OF THE STATE SYSTEM OF HIGHER EDUCATION
SUMMARY: This act makes it easier for constituent units of higher education to purchase a technology, product, or process they develop or spend money related to its development by specifying conditions under which a unit's chief executive officer (CEO) may do these things without competitive bidding or negotiation. The CEO can make the purchase or the expenditure if the technology, product, or process:
1. will be tested in his or her unit on a trial basis;
2. is part of or related to one of the unit's research programs;
3. has potential commercial applications and benefit to the state's economy;
4. has no adverse effect on individual safety; and
5. has been recommended by a committee of the unit that includes its chief purchasing official, chief academic officer, and chief economic development officer or their designees.
The CEO must report to the Commerce and Higher Education and Employment Advancement committees on the technology, products, or processes the constituent unit tested or plans to test. The report is due on January 1 of the year following the date when the unit made the purchase or expenditure and, if applicable, must indicate the number of times tests were done.
By law, constituent unit CEOs may use competitive bidding or negotiation for specific procurement actions without the approval of the comptroller, Office of Policy and Management secretary, or administrative services commissioner if they (1) do so under policies adopted by their respective unit's trustees and (2) consult with the administrative services commissioner.
EFFECTIVE DATE: July 1, 2012
OLR Tracking: JR: RC: VR: ts