Table of Contents
CONSUMER RENT-TO-OWN AGREEMENTS
Sec. 42-240. Definitions.
Sec. 42-252. Lessor's obligations.
Sec. 42-240. Definitions. As used in sections 42-240 to 42-253, inclusive:
(1) "Advertisement" means any oral, written or graphic statement or representation
made in connection with the solicitation of business in any manner by a lessor and
includes, but is not limited to, statements and representations made in any newspaper
or other publication, or on radio or television or printed in any catalog, circular or any
other sales literature or brochure.
(2) "Cash price" means the price at which a lessor in the ordinary course of business
would in good faith offer the property that is the subject of a rent-to-own agreement to
the lessee for cash on the date of the rent-to-own agreement.
(3) "Consummation" means the time a lessee becomes contractually obligated on
a consumer rent-to-own agreement.
(4) "Rent-to-own agreement" means an agreement for the use of personal property
by an individual primarily for personal, family or household purposes, for an initial
period of four months or less, whether or not there is any obligation beyond the initial
period, that is automatically renewable with each payment and that permits the consumer
to become the owner of the property. Any rent-to-own agreement which complies with
sections 42-240 to 42-253, inclusive, shall not be construed to be, or be governed by
the laws of this state regulating, any of the following:
(A) A retail installment contract, as defined in section 36a-770;
(B) A security interest, as defined in subdivision (35) of subsection (b) of section
(5) "Lessee" means a natural person who rents personal property under a consumer
(6) "Lessor" means a person who regularly provides the use of property through
consumer rent-to-own agreements and to whom the obligation is initially payable on
(7) "Personal property" means any property that is not real property under the laws
of the state where it is located when it is made available for a consumer rent-to-own
(P.A. 91-162, S. 1, 18; P.A. 05-109, S. 51; 05-288, S. 147.)
History: P.A. 05-109 amended Subdiv. (4)(B) by replacing reference to Sec. 42a-1-201(37) with reference to Sec. 42a-1-201(b)(35); P.A. 05-288 made technical changes in Subdiv. (4), effective July 13, 2005.
Sec. 42-252. Lessor's obligations. A lessor shall have the same obligations as a
seller under sections 42a-1-304, 42a-2-302 and 42a-2-312 to 42a-2-318, inclusive, and
the same obligations as a creditor under sections 36a-645 to 36a-647, inclusive. Any
rent-to-own agreement shall be subject to the provisions of section 52-572g.
(P.A. 91-162, S. 13, 18; P.A. 05-109, S. 52.)
History: P.A. 05-109 replaced reference to Secs. 42a-1-203 and 42a-2-103(b) with reference to Sec. 42a-1-304.